At XXIV Old Buildings we have a team with virtually unrivalled experience of all aspects of “pure” pensions. Our pension barristers are able to deal with all the varied modern disputes which require such multi-disciplinary knowledge – especially when, as is happening more and more frequently, there are international or cross-border aspects to the problem.
The legal and commercial need has never been stronger for practitioners such as the XXIV Old Buildings team who have in-depth understanding of the interrelationship between pensions and insolvency law, and between pensions and general company/commercial law. Changes in the regulatory regime and the overall investment climate mean that M&A teams will now need always to have in mind the pensions risks to the purchaser, and the need for the seller to be able close out his pension related liabilities. Similarly, the financial straits in which schemes and employers find themselves means that any problem is likely to need a thorough understanding of the actuarial, investment and accounting issues which can arise.
Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 both recommend the pension team, with Legal 500 recommending XXIV Old Buildings as a leading pensions chambers.
The areas of pensions law in which we practice are set out below, where we advise and act for Trustees (lay and professional), employers and members:
- Construction of statutory and scheme provisions
- Rectification of scheme deeds and rules
- Approval of and challenges to amendments to scheme provisions
- Restructuring of pension schemes
- All aspects of the financial operation of schemes, including actuarial, investment and accounting issues
- All aspects of professional negligence involving those concerned with the establishment and operation of pension schemes
- Complaints to the Pensions Ombudsman
- Claims against Trustees for maladministration and breaches of duty
- Legal issues surrounding surpluses and deficits
- Pension schemes and corporate/personal insolvency
- Discrimination in regard to pensions (age and sex)