XXIV Old Buildings
11, rue du Général-Dufour
CH - 1204, Geneva
Tel: +41 (0)22 322 2500
Fax: +41 (0)22 322 2515
XXIV Old Buildings
London WC2A 3UP, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7691 2424
Fax: +44 (0)870 460 2178
Clerks 020 7691 2424
Ian L. Meakin has extensive experience in dispute resolution, international business law, including fraud, and trusts and estates. Ian acts as an advocate in international commercial arbitration as well as before the English courts. He also sits as an arbitrator. Ian has been involved in some of the largest and most high profile arbitrations around (e.g. IPOC).
He is also known as an expert in sports law, advising and appearing in sports arbitrations, including the International Court of the Appeal of the FIA (Formula One) as well as FIFA, CAS and other arbitral tribunals where he has acted for teams, athletes and drivers, sponsors and sporting federations.
Ian is based in Geneva where he has practiced for the last twenty four years. He is available for English and off-shore court and advisory work. He accepts instructions both in English and in French.
Ian is recommended in both Chambers and Partners 2016 and Legal 500 2015 for International Arbitration (Commercial and Insurance) and Sport, where he is said to be 'solution-oriented, efficient and able to deal with the most complex of issues'. Clients comment that Ian is 'a truly international lawyer handling English and Swiss law matters on a daily basis' and praise him for being 'extremely commercial, user-friendly and a pleasure to work with'.
Ian has taught at the University of Geneva for many years and currently lectures at the University's Graduate Institute on the Master of International Dispute and Settlement (MIDS) programme.
- King’s College, London, 1988
- Inns of Court School of Law, 1991
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn (Karmel Scholar), Call 1991
- Lalive, 1992-1996
- Mégevand Grosjean Revaz, 1996-1998
- Bonnard Lawson, 1998-
- 2 Temple Gardens, 2000-2007
- XXIV Old Buildings, 2007-
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- The Swiss Arbitration Association
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (TEP)
- The London Court of International Arbitration
- The International Court of Arbitration of the ICC
- The Swiss Bar Association (Continuing Legal Education Commission)
- The Athenaeum Club
- English (mother tongue)
- French (fluent)
- Italian (comprehension)
Registered name: Ian Leonard Meakin