Michael Black QC and Tom Montagu-Smith will be speaking at this year’s virtual Dubai Arbitration Week, which XXIV Old Buildings is supporting as a sponsor. Please click here for the full programme and here to register.
Tom will be participating in an interactive session on Tuesday 17th November from 16:30 – 17:15 (Gulf Standard Time) during which he and the other panelists will examine the following topics:
- Achieving full diversity and inclusion in international arbitration
- What I wish I had known when I was a junior arbitration practitioner
- What I wish arbitrators would keep in mind when presiding on my case
Michael will be part of a panel discussion titled “Common misconceptions by common law practitioners in MENA arbitrations” taking place on 18th November from 11.40 – 12.30 (GST) and will cover:
- Does having arbitrators of common or civil law background impact the proceedings and their outcome?
- Addressing the balance of common law trained arbitration lawyers vs courts that backstop the arbitration being from a civil code, and things to watch out for when approaching this mismatch
- How should common law practitioners deal with the diverse cultures of advocacy in the MENA region?
- What should common law practitioners watch out for when prosecuting MENA arbitrations, both on matters of substance and procedure?
XXIV Old Buildings is hosting a webinar on Arbitrating Company Law Issues on Wednesday 18th November from 2pm – 3.30pm (GST). Please click here for further details and to register.