Robert specialises in commercial and chancery matters, ranging from complex international litigation (often involving conflicts of laws and claims in numerous jurisdictions) to more general commercial disputes such as those arising from commercial contracts, share sale agreements and Insolvency.
Notable recent cases include:
- Emerald Bay Worldwide Ltd v Barclays Wealth Directors (Guernsey) & Anor – the court, without hesitation, accepted Robert’s expert evidence thereby concluding that BVI companies can choose to indemnify their officers for personal liability.
- Re Cap Juluca – The Court of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court reversed the first instance decision to allow joint liquidators permission to sell certain assets. The original judge was held to have acted in a manner which no reasonable judge could have.
- Alfa Telecom Turkey Ltd v Cukurova Finance International Ltd & Ors -Robert acted for Alfa Telecom who enforced security against Cukurova following events of default under a loan for US$1.352 billion.
- Kaupthing Bank HF v Investec Trust – Robert acted for Kaupthing Bank in proceedings in the Virgin Islands and London in the much publicised battle between the Bank and Robert Tchenguiz.
- BTA v Ablyazov – acting for a Kazakh bank in relation to substantial claims against a former director running to billions of pounds.
- IPOC v LVFG – Robert acted for Alfa Eco in relation to a substantial claim against its interest in a major Russian telecommunications company.
The vast bulk of his practice is litigious. Many of his cases involve issues of foreign law and he regularly gives expert evidence on English law in foreign proceedings. He is admitted to the Bar of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands) and he appears there regularly. He has also been called to the Bar of Anguilla.
His property practice has resulted in numerous reported cases and twice taken him to the House of Lords
Robert is a popular speaker both at XXIV Old Buildings’ events and those organised by others.
Areas of experience
Checked sections will be included in the PDF download.