Kira has a commercial chancery practice with an emphasis on civil fraud, contentious trusts, insolvency, company and commercial litigation. Kira has over ten years’ experience of contentious trusts matters which she combines with her extensive commercial chancery expertise.
Kira is an experienced advocate who frequently appears in the High Court and has experience of both trial and appellate advocacy. Kira has appeared in all levels of court including the Supreme Court (with a leader). Kira is particularly experienced in applications for pre-emptive and interim relief and as a sole advocate has successfully obtained and responded to high value freezing orders both within the jurisdiction and offshore.
Kira also has substantial offshore experience having been called to Bar of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (BVI) and the Gibraltar Bar (on an ad-hoc basis) and has been instructed on cases in the Cayman Islands, Dubai, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey and the BVI.
Kira is the Chair of Junior COMBAR and a committee member of ConTrA (Contentious Trusts Associates).
Kira’s recent experience includes:
- Ted Baker Plc v Bluefin Insurance Services – Kira is currently instructed with Stephen Cogley QC on a high value dispute in the Commercial Division against an insurance broker where it is alleged that the insurance broker negligently failed to obtain an insurance policy which covered employee theft.
- Teutonic Energy Services T.E.S. Limited v Vana- Viru – Kira is currently instructed on a jurisdictional challenge relating to a dispute between a Cypriot and an Estonian company in the Commercial Division.
- Line Trust Corporation Limited (as Trustee of the Aziz Continuation Trust) v Omar Aziz & others (Gibraltar) – Kira represented the minor and unborn beneficiaries in a case in which the wife of the settlor of the trust in question sought ancillary relief in the sum of £350 million and argued that the trust was a nuptial settlement.
- Baxter v McGill – Kira successfully obtained a freezing/mareva injunction and a proprietary injunction in the Chancery Division in support of a fraud claim (brought as a derivative claim) for more than £1.5m.
- Hi-Street Digital Media Limited v Digivan Limited – Kira successfully resisted an application for an injunction to prevent advertisement of a winding up petition in the Chancery Division.
- Rreef European Value Added Fund I L.P v Deutsche Alternative Asset Management (UK) Limited where she was instructed by Allen & Overy LLP on a claim for damages of at least €158 million by an investment fund against its investment manager for breach of contract and/or negligence in relation to a decision to cause the fund to invest in a German real estate transaction.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Kira trained and qualified as a solicitor at Baker & Mckenzie LLP, where she gained experience in contentious trusts, international fraud and general commercial litigation. Kira subsequently worked for Eversheds LLP where she specialised in trusts and pensions litigation and the offshore law firm Forbes Hare in the British Virgin Islands where she specialised in insolvency, civil fraud and distressed investment fund litigation. Her experience included being instructed on the restitutionary claims brought by the liquidators of Fairfield Sentry Limited, the largest of the feeder funds into Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
Areas of experience
BA (Hons) Law (Jurisprudence), Oxford University, St Hugh’s College, First Class, (Double first)
BCL (Law), Oxford University, St Hugh’s College, Distinction
Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Distinction
Scholarship to attend University of Florida’s Advanced Civil Trial Advocacy course, South Eastern Circuit (2014)
Walter Wigglesworth scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2011)
Gibbs Book Prize for overall performance in contract, tort, trusts and land law, (Oxford University) (2005)
Centenary Scholarship, St Hugh’s College, Oxford University (2003)
Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in 2009
Admitted as a solicitor of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands) 2011
Chancery Bar Association
Insolvency Lawyer’s Association
R3: Association of Business Recovery Professionals
ConTrA (Contentious Trusts Associates)
2018 – present: Chair of Junior COMBAR
2016 – present: Committee member of ConTrA
2003 – 2004: President of the St Hugh’s Law Society
2006 – 2007: Law tutor at Lincoln, Brasenose and New College, Oxford
2009: Judicial Assistant to Lord Justice Mummery in the Court of Appeal
Kira is an editor of the 2018 edition of the Encyclopedia of Forms and Precedents (Company).
Kira is an editor of the 20th and 21st editions of Williams, Mortimer and Sunnucks: Executors, Adminstrators and Probate.
“Forum disputes & freezing orders – a warning”, Fraud Intelligence, April/May 2013
“Privilege against self-incrimination, civil proceedings & the Fraud Act 2006”, Fraud Intelligence, August/ September 2009 4 (co-authored with Henry Garfield)