James has a broad and developing chancery and commercial practice. He works across the full range of chambers’ areas of expertise, including in particular trusts and probate litigation, commercial and company disputes, civil fraud, insolvency, and aviation.
James regularly appears as sole counsel in the County Court and High Court, and undertakes a wide variety of drafting and advisory work. He is also frequently instructed as part of a counsel team on complex and high-value disputes. In keeping with chambers’ reputation, James enjoys working with lawyers and clients from other jurisdictions, and on matters involving international and conflicts of laws elements. He has recently returned from a three-month secondment to Walkers (Guernsey) LLP, during which he worked alongside the litigation team on a wide range of commercial, civil fraud, and trusts disputes.
Examples of James’s current and recent work include:
- acting in a two-week trial in the Guernsey Royal Court seeking the dissolution of a $125 million limited partnership on grounds including fraudulent misrepresentation;
- advising on a claim for dishonest assistance following a fraud in the value of $1.2 million;
- acting (with Edward Cumming QC) on a complex ongoing dispute involving the administration of a family trust and claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975;
- acting regularly for defendant airlines (including British Airways, Icelandair, TUI, and Easyjet) in claims brought under EU Regulation 261/2004 and the Montreal Convention;
- advising (with Edward Cumming QC) beneficiaries of a trust in relation to potential claims against present and former trustees and directors of underlying companies;
- settling a defence and counterclaim for owners of a property in relation to a construction dispute following defective building works;
- regularly appearing in the High Court in relation to corporate and personal insolvency matters, including winding up and bankruptcy petitions, and other related applications.
Further details of James’s experience are set out below.