XXIV Old Buildings
11, rue du Général-Dufour
CH - 1204, Geneva
Tel: +41 (0)22 322 2500
Fax: +41 (0)22 322 2515
XXIV Old Buildings
London WC2A 3UP, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7691 2424
Fax: +44 (0)870 460 2178
Robert Levy QC
Clerks 020 7691 2424
Robert specialises in commercial and chancery matters, ranging from complex international litigation (often involving conflicts of laws and claims in numerous jurisdictions) to more general commercial disputes such as those arising from commercial contracts, share sale agreements and Insolvency.
Notable recent cases include:
- Emerald Bay Worldwide Ltd v Barclays Wealth Directors (Guernsey) & Anor - the court, without hesitation, accepted Robert’s expert evidence thereby concluding that BVI companies can choose to indemnify their officers for personal liability.
- Re Cap Juluca - The Court of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court reversed the first instance decision to allow joint liquidators permission to sell certain assets. The original judge was held to have acted in a manner which no reasonable judge could have.
- Alfa Telecom Turkey Ltd v Cukurova Finance International Ltd & Ors -Robert acted for Alfa Telecom who enforced security against Cukurova following events of default under a loan for US$1.352 billion.
- Kaupthing Bank HF v Investec Trust - Robert acted for Kaupthing Bank in proceedings in the Virgin Islands and London in the much publicised battle between the Bank and Robert Tchenguiz.
- BTA v Ablyazov - acting for a Kazakh bank in relation to substantial claims against a former director running to billions of pounds.
- IPOC v LVFG - Robert acted for Alfa Eco in relation to a substantial claim against its interest in a major Russian telecommunications company.
The vast bulk of his practice is litigious. Many of his cases involve issues of foreign law and he regularly gives expert evidence on English law in foreign proceedings. He is admitted to the Bar of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands) and he appears there regularly. He has also been called to the Bar of Anguilla.
His property practice has resulted in numerous reported cases and twice taken him to the House of Lords
Robert is a popular speaker both at XXIV Old Buildings’ events and those organised by others.
Chambers & Partners 2016 recommends Robert for commercial chancery, commercial dispute resolution, civil fraud and offshore work. Robert is said to be 'very, very incisive and pragmatic. With him you get a great deal of intellect, which is packaged in a user-friendly, calm and personable style'. Instructing solicitors describe him as 'a very good advocate, a very good cross-examiner and is someone with an amazing capacity to pick things up quickly' and 'a natural advocate'.
Chambers Global 2016 also recommends Robert for offshore work: 'He's smart and gets the issues across very quickly'.
Legal 500 2015 recommends Robert for commercial litigation and civil fraud. 'The first choice for aggressively fought, high-value offshore disputes', Robert is said to be 'a brilliant advocate with an incredible ability to absorb information'.
Member of the Bar of St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Member of the Bar of Anguilla
Member of the Bar of Dubai International Financial Centre
Commercial Bar Association
Chancery Bar Association
- "Reorganisation with knobs on? The taxonomy of Europe's insolvency regime" (2012) 27 JIBFL 345.
Public access accredited